Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have a 2008 CLK 220CDI. The 2 wing mirrors turn in on

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2008 CLK 220CDI. The 2 wing mirrors turn in on the switch but will not turn out. I have replaced the light/mirror switch twice but no change. My thought is that either the signal thro' the switch is not correct or the mirror motors are defective. However both stopped turning out at the same time and both continue to turn in together if I pull them out by hand. Other mirror functions, (up - down - train outwards - train inwards) work fine. Running out of ideas, can you suggest something I've missed. Regards, Leo

Sorry - wrong year - car is 2008 all other details are correct

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had no response so I wish to continue waiting until I receive one.

Thank you, ***** ***** question open.

Leo XXXXX

Hello Leo,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Hello Leo,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please continue. I have not resolved the issue and wish to continue the search.

Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Hello Leo,

The signals from the switch are passed over wires to the driver's SAM module (in engine bay fusebox), then SAM sends the computerized signal to the driver's door control unit, and this unit sends a comand to passenger door unit. THe door units actuate the motors.
Since folding feature partially works, we can assume that voltage supply and wiring are in order. So either the front SAM or driver door control module are faulty.
So try to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset those modules. If this does not help, i recommend to have the door control units checked with Star Diagnosis computer (some independent workshops have it besides the dealers). It is possible to see which signals reach the units and to actuate folding motors with this tool.

Best Regards,
Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Technical support engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Stan, Thank you, ***** ***** the sound of the answer, it follows the line that the switch signal may be the cause. It is Thursday at 11pm at the moment so will follow your suggestion tomorrow. I suspect my Mercedes Independent mechanic may well have a star diagnosis computer so I now have a path to follow. Many thanks.

Leo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Stan, to close it off. I tried the battery disconnect and it didn't fix it so I have booked in with my mechanic for next Wed for a diagnostic session along the lines that you outlined. He has the Star computer and is happy with following your route.

Thanks for your help, I have given Just Ask a positive assessment for your services so they owe you some money.

Regards,

Leo

Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that battery disconnect did not work, Leo

Thanks for the rating, everything has gone through to me as it should.

If you need further assistance on this topic, will be glad to to continue.

Cheers,
Stan