Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

My 2002 non turbo S600 is showing "check engine" on the left

My 2002 non turbo S600 is showing "check engine" on the left hand side of the instrument panel.
It still drives perfectly and shows "no malfunctions".
I can find no reference to this in the voluminous handbook.
Can you help, please?
Regards,
Tony Blok
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony, the check engine light indicates a malfunction with one of the emission control systems. Sometimes the fault affect the engine running and other times it does not affect the running at all. A loose fuel cap for example would turn the check engine light on. There are quite a few possible faults that would cause the light to turn on. You will need to get the car connected to a Mercedes diagnostic tester to read out the fault codes stored in the engine control module. The fault codes will help to pinpoint the problem.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks, Marty. Presumably "check engine" is the same as the "engine block" sign?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Yes Tony, that is correct.