Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

My 2002 C220 has a problem which I will try to describe......

Customer Question

my 2002 C220 has a problem which I will try to describe...... sometimes when I turn on the ignition the dash cluster lights ie rev counter speedo doesn't light up and the wipers don't work the car will start and some way down the road the dash will light up and everything works as normal. while this is happening the main lights outside will switch on even though the light switch is in the off position. Finally the when I turn the car off I must make sure that the lights are turned off first before the engine otherwise the back lights for the heater controls will stay on the drain the battery any ideas / suggestions would be useful. one last thing the SRS light will come on after the dash comes back on. if it is cancelled with the computer it will stay off until the next time the dash goes out or rather doesn't switch on again
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Such symptoms are usually caused either by faulty key or ignition switch. The ignition is partially switched on. I suggest to see if the problem occurs with the spare key.
Otherwise, next step would be to check the electronics with Star Diagnosis computer to make sure ignition switch is fine or not.
Best regards,
Stan