Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I put petrol in my diesel Mercedes GLA200 CDI. I had 1/4 tank

Customer Question

I put petrol in my diesel Mercedes GLA200 CDI. I had 1/4 tank of diesel but filled up with petrol by mistake.
I didn't realise and drove the car for a few miles and felt a slight judder. I stopped the car immediately and it's been towed to the garage.
What is the likely impact and potential cost please?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
A modern diesel engine can tolerate about 15% petrol in diesel and sorry to say that you've exceeded that by some way as this car has 55ltr fuel tank
the petrol doesn't provide any lubrication to the high pressure pump and injectors they are easily damaged if used hard with petrol in the tank
so you may have gotten away with it
and all that is required is new fuel filter and to drain a flush the tank with fresh diesel
but
you may also need a new pump and fuel injectors which is about 5 hours labour and in excess of £2000 in parts
sorry its not better news