Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

My car is a 1992 400sel. Engine starts ok an runs

My car is a 1992 400sel. Engine starts ok an runs for about 20 minutes then starts missing as if an electrical short, rpm goes up and down for a minute or so then shuts down. Trying to start it results in backfiring an no start. Also notice turn signals stay on on the right side even with ignition turned off.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** this model the most common problem for a symp***** *****ke this would be a fault with the distributor caps and rotors. I would remove and inspect both caps and rotors for signs of arcing.As for the problem with the lights I would first check the headlight switch and make sure that is it turned off to the straight up and down position. If the switch is turned too far to the left the side lights will stay on.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed the Distributor caps and rotors, showed signs of tracking, cleaned and replaced the caps. Rotors seemed to be ok.
Started up, engine ran ok, no missing or cut out.
The right side signal issue seems to have sorted itself out.