Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Had 500sl quality recovered by 2004? I am looking to buy one

Had 500sl quality recovered by 2004?
I am looking to buy one
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** 2004 SL is a solid car but it is not without it's problems. The engine and the transmission are very reliable if properly maintained. Some problem areas are with the ABC suspension system, the SBC braking system and the vario roof system. Problems in any of those areas are very costly to repair. The suspension system is known for external and internal leakage causing the suspension to drop. The braking system is an electronic braking system and is known for problems with the control module or electric pump. The roof system is known for hydraulic cylinder leakage. There are other areas of the car that can be troublesome as well, mostly with the electronics or the pneumatic system. I really like the car but they can be expensive to maintain. If you are considering a purchase I would suggest that you have the car inspected by a qualified Mercedes technician before you make your decision.Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service as this is the only way that I receive credit from the website for helping you.Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Marty,Are the smaller-engined 3700SL cars less complex and less costly to maintain - or are they all the same?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty,Do these problems become less in the 2005 and 2006 SL model years?