Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a GL 320 which has recently on start up turns over the

I have a GL 320 which has recently on start up turns over the engine once or twice then stops the start up process then does the same thing many times over when I try again before it completes the start up sequence and the engine fires up. I don't think it's fuel line leakage as most of the time it starts fine. For me it feels like something is cancelling the start up process - any ideas??
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** the starter is turning off prematurely the possible faults are a bad starter motor or buildup of corrosion between the starter bendix and the flywheel. I would first try coating the teeth of the flywheel with a light coating of anti-seize paste. If the computer senses too much resistance when the starter engages it will cancel the start process. Other possibilities are low battery voltage or excessive voltage drop in the start circuit.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MartyThat's really helpful and makes a lot of sense.Thanks and regardsJames
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MartyI've no further questions on this.Thanks and regardsJames