Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer

W202 cdi auto estate 1999 V641XNV FOB KEY problem (new

Customer Question

Hi w202 cdi auto estate 1999 V641XNV FOB KEY problem (new batteries 2025 3volts fitted and worked but now not..only steering lock release will function) spare key week batteries ... now changed and and this now will only work steering lock not central locking nor starter . Had the RAC but they cannot get engine to start nor correct the first fob/key
What have i got wrong and why the starter will only turn over once ...twice rarely thre or four turns with new car battery(100amp)plus RAC jump cable ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I still need a reply..........your website said you had two mercedes mechanics waiting to give me a answer at the time of my question. Later i was offered solicitors to answer questions on my mercedes 16yrs old an been in my possession 4yrs
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Stan replied 8 months ago.
Hello,If i understand correctly, your car has electronic keys and electronic ignition switch ( no metal key blade used to turn the ignition switch).In this case, the problem can be caused by faulty key, ignition switch or main relay
Expert:  Stan replied 8 months ago.
So if you have a spare key- definitely try using it to start the engine.If both keys are not working- problem is either in ignition switch or main relay in the engine compartment control unit box.
Expert:  Stan replied 8 months ago.
To access the relay, control unit box lid on the right engine bay side must be removed. Sometimes knocking on the relay makes it work for some time.The proper way to test the relay and the ignition switch is to have the electronics checked with Star Diagnosis computer.
Expert:  Stan replied 8 months ago.
The ignition switch can be replaced only by the authorized dealers due to anti-theft technology used by MB.Let me know if i can help you more on this. Best regards,Stan