Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Mercedes e220 on a 57 plate. This morning I have noticed

Customer Question

I have a Mercedes e220 on a 57 plate. This morning I have noticed some juddering and an occasional loss of power and have only been a short distance. It accelerates ok but the engine is noisier than before. Any ideas please?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello you don't say what engine size and fuel type this is?but I'm guessing the 2.2 ltr petrol ?so I'd 1st say to check the exhaust 1stI'd start by checking all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the catylst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhuast gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot. if this is Ok then then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it's not petrol, it's diesel and yes it's 2.2 which I put on the original enquiry. The engine smooths if ticking over for 10 mins. Still slightly juddery but then a lot smoother. What do you think??
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello OK thanks for the extra informationI'd start with fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked and my advice about the EGR still stands as this effects diesel even more than petrol so check it over as I suggested
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you