Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I bought my second E280 CDi (W211), a 2008 model recently,

I bought my second E280 CDi (W211), a 2008 model recently, having had my previous one for 3 years. I bought my previous one, a 2005 model, with about 75,000 miles on it and sold it with just over 140,000 recorded miles. During that time, the average fuel consumption, according to the car display was 39.7 miles per gallon, and on a long motorway journey I regularly saw 47 - 48 mpg. I therefore expected the newer one, which I bought with 73,000 miles on it to do similar (or perhaps a bit better being a newer model). I have now done over 4000 miles in my new car, with a similar mix of motoring - the average consumption is hovering around 34.5, and it has struggled to get up to 40 mpg on the same motorway journey I was doing 47+on before. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll wait for another day
Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,40-50mpg range is considered normal for extra-urban driving. So differences in tires, curb weight due to equipment package differences, or vehicle maintenance can have such an effect.In any case, i recommend to have the engine air and fuel filters changed, as well as transmission and differential oils. Also, checking the engine and transmission should be checked with MB diagnostic computer for fault codes and diesel particulate filter (DPF) performance. Clogged or aged DPF will cause excessive fuel consumption- computer-actuated regeneration of DPF can help cleaning it out . Also transmission adaptation reset can help a bit as well. Regards,Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Technical support engineer