Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

How do I replace the rear brake lamp fitted in the boot lid

Customer Question

How do I replace the rear brake lamp fitted in the boot lid on my SL R129, 2001 vintage. This is an LED lamp, Owner Manual says "in the event of malfunction or defect, consult a M-B service station.
Access requires the lining inside the boot lid to be removed but I'm reluctant to experiment.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** liner is held on to the lid with plastic clips. You will need to use a spatula type tool to pry the clips out of the trunk lid. It is not unusual for all of the clips to break upon removal. I've attached instructions below for replacing the brake lamp. Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service as this is the only way that I can receive credit from Just Answer for helping you.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link below for a trim tool set.http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Click the attachment below for the location of the retaining clips.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many clips are there? I can see a pair of clips on each side - both appear to need the liner to slide forwards to release. Picture attached. Which implies attachments on the rear edge have to be released first, otherwise the side clips will break.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You don't slide the panel out of the clips you have to pry them down out of the trunk lid, panel and all. The tool you use looks like a fork that goes around the clip on each side and you pry it out of the lid.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
There are about 15 clips in all that hold the liner on to the lid.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Don't pry on the panel itself. Make sure that your tool fits between the flange on the clip and the trunk lid.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on the case, but first need to make a suitable forked extraction tool. However, it does looks if the attachment clips will break so will need to find a source of them as well as the lamp fitting itself. Will send progress report before long.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. The part number for the clips is 000 990 57 92.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Progress! Three clips per side undone, plus another three along forward edge, which leaves only the rear edge still fastened. All clips intact, so far!
Rear edge is restrained by two other things. On centre line above the catch is a flexible plate that trim fits under; trim releases when pulled out. Main impediment is a micro switch/plunger fitting (is that remote lid release device?): won't budge with normal force under it. Finally, a stowage bracket for road safety triangle; appears to be fixed to boot lid as trim fits around its extremities.
Should I give the plunger fitting more force?? Picture of plunger attached
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You need to push in on the center of the plastic rivet that holds the plunger in place. Push the plastic pin all the way through the rivet to release the rivet. You will need to retrieve the pin and reinstall it into the rivet when reassembling the panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so the plunger fitting is fastened with what must be a mushroom headed rivet. I did manage to loosen the rivet by prising under the mushroom head - pushing it has now tightened it up. If I push the head through, then the rivet is not going to be reusable. I'll give it a try but suspect it might be easier to drill the rivet out and hope to get a spare. Will also see if it can be pushed through from the inside.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You only push the center pin of the rivet through. Then you retrieve the pin and reuse it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK that worked, all I need to do now is find the pin!! Now for the tricky bit, removing the light fitting. What I see here is nothing like that in your first instruction sheet. Probably because my car as one of the last to be built. Thinking time - but any further tips welcome.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If you have the LED lamp you should be able to pop the outer lens off to get to the screws for the lamp.
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The LED lamp has been replaced successfully. But the instructions forwarded earlier must have been correct for an earlier model; my lamp was replaced without having to remove the lens assembly.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! I'm glad you got it done :-)