Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Greg, we hace a c180 kompressor and the time chain jumped

Customer Question

Hi Greg, we hace a c180 kompressor and the time chain jumped 3 teeth. Been told that replacing would be expensive but there might be damage to valves etc. Contemplating if it is worth to repair or scrap the car. Car is a 55 plate with 106k miles. Body, interior etc all in very good condition.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this all depends on which way the timing chain has jumpedyes its possible the engine has been badly damaged with valves hitting pistons etc but you may have got away with itI'd suggest to do a borescope inspection of the engine insides by poking an endoscope through the spark plug holes - this will quickly tell you if the valves have touched and let you know if the head has to come off or not if the head does have to come off for repair / new valves and machining work to rectify the damage then expect a bill for about £1200 to cover the cost of the 2 days labour , machine shop time and new parts
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you