Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 2003 sl350 r230 convertible. there is violent thump

i have a 2003 sl350 r230 convertible. there is violent thump from the rear diff when changeing up from first to second,and when changeing down from third to second.it gets worse when the vehicle is hot. barely noticable when vehicle starts up from cold. help.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, my name is***** were some production problems with the early 722.9 transmissions that would cause this problem. There is a service bulletin that addresses the problem. The bulletin requires that the transmission be removed and the B1 and B3 clutch packs inspected for a faulty snap ring. The transmission adaption values should be inspected first and a re-adaption procedure should be performed prior to taking apart the transmission. I've attached the service bulletin below.Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service as this is the only way that I can receive credit from Just Answer for helping you.Marty