Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Marty.i asked you a question on 21st.march.unfortunately

hi, marty.i asked you a question on 21st.march.unfortunately the answer was not relevant to my vehicle.i have a 2003 sl350 merc. convertible with a 6 speed MANUAL transmission with electric? gear shifts in either manual or automatic mode.when i upshift from 1st.to 2nd.and downshift from 3rd.to 2nd.there is a( quite violent thump when it engages 2nd.gear.it is worse when hot.(in manual or auto mode).the thump seems to come from the rear diff.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the wait I have been away. There are quite a few rubber bushings in the rear that support the rear subframe and the differential. I would inspect all of the rubber to see if there are any broken bushings. It sounds like the differential is moving when you are shifting. It would be more noticeable in the lower gears where more torque is applied. Let me know if you have any questions.Marty