Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I HAVE A MERCEDES M 370 2004 { W163 } AND IT IS A FANTASTIC

i HAVE A MERCEDES M 370 2004 { W163 } AND IT IS A FANTASTIC VEHICLE AND HAS DONE 90,000 MILES BUT THE OTHER DAY I WENT OVER A SMALL SPEED HUMP IN THE ROAD { ONLY AT 20 mph } AND SUDDENLY THE ENGINE CUT OUT AND THE LIGHTS WENT OUT AND ALL THE DASH BOARD LIGHTS COME ON JUST LIKE IT DOSE WHEN YOU FIRST TURN ON THE IGNITION THEN IT STARTED AGAIN AND RUN FINE FOR THE NEXT 60 MILES BUT ON THE WAY HOME IT CUT OUT ON A DUAL CARRIAGE WAY AS i WAS OVERTAKING AND i WAS IN THE DARK FOR ABOUT 4 SECONDS THEN IT STARTED AGAIN { VERY SCARY }
iT DID IT 3 MORE TIMES ON THE WAY HOME
THINKING IT MAY BE ONE OF THE CONNECTIONS ON THE BATTERY i TOOK THEM ALL OFF AND CLEANED THEM AND ALSO ALL THE CONNECTIONS TO THE BULK HEAD AND CLEANED THEM HOPING THAT THIS WAS THE ANSWER
i USED THE VEHICLE A WEEK LATER AND ALL SEAMED FINE FOR ABOUT 50 MILES BUT THEN IT DID IT AGAIN TWICE MORE
i HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT MAY BE THE ALARM BOX AS THE ALARM DOSE NOT SEAM TO WORK
HOPING SOMEBODY HAS HAD THE SAME SORT OF PROBLEM WITH A 370 ???
GRAHAM TURNER
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 12 months ago.
Hi Graham, my name is*****'ve experienced similar problems on the ML when the crankshaft position sensor is failing. When the sensor malfunctions it will act just as if you turned the key off. The engine will die without warning and all of the dash warning lights will come on. The alarm system would not cause this type of problem. I would suggest replacing the crankshaft position sensor for this problem. Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service as this is the only way that I can receive credit from Just Answer for helping you.Marty
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Marty
Thanks I will try this , can you tell me where the crankshaft position sensor is on the engine and is it an easy job to replace this item
Thanks Graham
Expert:  Marty replied 12 months ago.
Hi Graham, the sensor is mounted at the left rear of the engine directly behind the cylinder head and mounted above the flywheel. Replacement is done from the top. There is a single E8 torx screw that needs to be removed then the sensor just pulls out. I've attached a diagram below.
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.