Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I bought a M/Benz 2011 GL350 from a dealership in Derby on

I bought a M/Benz 2011 GL350 from a dealership in Derby on 1/3/16 which I am driving to Majorca in 3 weeks time. Just for peace of mind I put it into my local M/Benz dealership for a free health check and also took out a service agreement. the health check revealed grease leaking from the drive shaft which if replaced would cost £1400. I am taking it back to the dealership for them to hopefully sort out. I also have a 12 month warranty. However speaking to the dealership they have made comments like just carry on driving it ?. Your view would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Phil
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil, my name is***** is not uncommon for a small amount of grease to sling from the driveshaft. As long as it is not a substantial amount there will be absolutely no problem if you continue to drive the car. There are usually rubber boots that contain the grease. As long as the boots are not split open you will be fine. Often times the clamp that holds the boot to the shaft can be replaced to stop the leak but a very small amount of grease at the boot area is harmless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marty,
Many thanks for getting back to me. I have a video of the Technician's health check that I can forward you if that would be ok because he seems to be referring to it being fractured.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would be great. Can you post a link to the video here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://mercedes.citnow.com/vtHhcPpKgf0
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil, I viewed the video. That leak will never cause a problem if it stays that way and I wouldn't expect it to get any worse. If I had the car in the shop I would clean the joint with brake cleaner and apply a little sealant to the outside of the joint.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil, I'm just following up with you on your Mercedes. Do you need anymore help with this? If you are all done I would appreciate it if you would rate my service so I can receive credit from the website for helping you.Marty