Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2010 E250 with a coolant leak ie had 2 top twice in last month. The car also has

Customer Question

I have a 2010 E250 with a coolant leak ie had 2 top twice in last month.
The car also has an occasional yellow engine light appear which remains on for a day and then disappears.
The car has done 104k miles
Do you have any suggestions
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello if you have a check engine light then Ideally its best to get the car plugged into a diagnostic scan tool and so retrieve the fault codehowever if its using water then if you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'. If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar) The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you