Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 2010 Mercedes E Class. In the past there has been

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Mercedes E Class. In the past there has been a puff of smoke on some occasions when I first start the car. Of late it has got a bit worse. The engine light on the dash board has shown intermittently recently. At the last service some 6 months ago I reported the above and it was dismissed as an electronics fault. Otherwise the car drives without problem. What are the likely causes and what should I do?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi John, sorry for the long wait on this question. For this problem you should first request a printout of the fault codes stored in the engine control module. The fault codes may help to identify the problem. A puff of smoke on start up is almost always related to oil burning in a cylinder due to a fault with the valve seals. The engine oil level should be checked to be sure it has not been overfilled. An inspection of the cylinders with a boroscope camera and an inspection of the spark plugs for signs of oil burning can be performed to help to identify the problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.

MArty