Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Tell me, can a new zenon bulb shine yellow. One on of my

Tell me, can a new zenon bulb shine yellow. One on of my headlight bulb on my Merc E350, had gone orange in colour with hardly any light, no message coming up on the message display. Merc Garage changed it, but new bulb shines yellow, was told this was because the other one was old, and shining very blue white it makes the other look yellow!!
The other bulb at the most has had about 1000 hours, my car has done 27K and is 4.5 years old. I do very little night driving. Does this sound right?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, it is not unusual for a Xenon bulb to shine differently than the other, especially if different brant light bulbs are used. I would ask the shop to install a matching bulb or an original equipment Mercedes bulb. Also, as the new bulb burns for awhile it can change color and look more like the other side.

Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. I never received credit from the website because you never rated my service. Are you satisfied with my help on this question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Marty, Sorry about delay in getting back to you, life has been a bit manic lately. May be it is a different brand, but I am surprise a main Merc dealership, didn't know this when they fitted it, I will contact them, their service has been a bit naff. I just went in to have them change the bulb, as mine was shining orange and not very bright, I waited 2.1/4 hours for them to tell me I needed a new bulb, told me to come tomorrow as they didn't have one in stock. Charged me £186 just to have a yellow, when I went back, 1 hour later told me it was a bad bulb come back again in 2 days, as they again didn't have one. then I was told nothing wrong, as I said in my original question to you but for £120 would change other bulb so they looked alike. I think I was done.
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. The simplest way to rule out any other possible problems is to swap the bulb from the good side over to the bad side. If the bulb shines normally on the bad side you know that the problem is just the replacement bulb. Let me know if you need anything else.

Please don't forget to click on a rating for my help on this question :-)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Marty, That's fine, but I am not capable of doing this myself and Mercedes will charge me another £60 to do it, they said they had already done this, and there is nothing wrong with new bulb! They did this on my 4th visit, another 1 hour wait. I think I am just going to have one white and one yellow headlight, real classy!! for a lovely car.
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

I know what you mean. The new bulb should change color after burning awhile. It may look better after 50 hours or so of running.

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.