Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 2001 CL500 coupe. The drivers side xenon headlight

I have a 2001 CL500 coupe. The drivers side xenon headlight has failed - I've replaced the xenon but still no joy, so I have sourced a tested second hand "igniter". However, on inspection, the leads from the bit that fits onto the bulb disappear inside the headlight unit with no apparent way to get into it. How do I replace the "igniter"?
Peter
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Peter, sorry for the wait. Can you please post the last 8 digits of the chassis number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MartyOk - 2A017379
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Peter, that number did not work. Can you post the complete chassis number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no probsWDB2153752A017379
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Okay, is there a part number on the igniter you purchased?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hithere are a couple of numbers....PBT-GF 301 307 329it also has a date label - 02.08.01
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

It appears to me as though the igniter on this model is built into the lamp. You will need to remove the lamp in order to access the igniter. I can send you instructions for removing the lamp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought, as the wires from the "bulb holder" bit disappear into the grey plastic molding that forms the back of the lamp unit itself. Is removing that a fairly straightforward task? I'm not a bad mechanic (mostly motorbikes, though!!)
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

It's a bit involved. The bumper will need to be removed in order to remove the lamp. Click on the instructions below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at first glance seems a bit of a task...but if that's what's needed, i'll give it a go!thanks for your help.Peter
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome Peter.