Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Just walked to me ML350 which was parked in a secure drive.

Just walked to me ML350 which was parked in a secure drive. I had my key in my pocket so opened the passenger door and the rear window just imploded! Nothing has hit it and nothing around to have made it implode. Can you tell me how this can have happened?
The vehicle is relatively new and on a 15 plate.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

I've had this happen to me and it was the door strap that prevents the door from over extending

it had come away from its welds and then punched into the edge of the glass as the door was opened

so its worth checking if this door strap is intact

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the door strap? This is a relatively new car! The window concerned is the rear window
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

the door strap is a piece of metal that fits inside the door to limit its movement

it should look something like the image and is located on hinge line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm assuming you mean the door strap is on the boot door. I did not open the boot just the passenger door when the rear window caved in. It seemed that as I opened the passenger door it released some sort of vacumn which sucked in the rear window.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the clarification

in that case I'd say the glass must have had some manufacturing flaw or has been chipped somehow

its worth trying Mercedes customer service to see if they will make a contribution as this sounds like no fault of your own