Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1998 Mercedes ML 320 petrol automatic 93,000 miles

Customer Question

Dear Sir,I have a 1998 Mercedes ML 320 petrol automatic 93,000 miles FSH
Everything perfect EXCEPT for a shuddering effect felt whilst DRIVING through the steering when full lock to the left and right. As if it is tyre rubbing.
Any assistance would be highly appreciated.
Warmest regards,Rick
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting from the 1st of June for an answer
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd say that this sounds like a worn strut bearing

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,I am not sure whether I can continue the conversation at the same price bearing in mind it is the still the same initial problem.
Just to recap, if I may, how much am I looking at to repair, and also, just making sure that I have explained myself properly : on full lock left or right whilst in motion, shuddering is felt through the steering wheel and somewhat through but down below the under carriage. Once straightened up again, it's back to normal.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

you can continue to ask questions while the original stays open

if it is a worn strut bearing then parts will be about £45 and its around 2 hours labour so the total cost will depend on your garage