Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 2008 clk 280 sport with 28000 on the clock with

Customer Question

i have a 2008 clk 280 sport with 28000 on the clock with regular mercedes service history. now the problem i have is this i switch engine on depress brake , release the park brake .
now here is where the problem is when i try to move the gear selector from park to drive the selector is has to be forced with a heavy clunck sound ...
once in drive no problems ... thank you
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** sounds like there is a fault with the electronic gear selector or the brake light switch. The brake light switch has a separate circuit that tells the shifter to unlock when you press the brake pedal. Since you are able to move the shifter out of park and into drive I suspect that the switch is working and the problem is in the shifter but the brake light switch should be checked or replaced first.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.