Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

At a recent service they told me there was a slight rattle

Customer Question

Hi. At a recent service they told me there was a slight rattle from the engine (I haven't noticed it - I'm a bit deaf) and recommended changing the timing chain within the next 3-4 months. Does that sound right to you?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** many miles are on the Mercedes? Can you post the last 8 digits of the vin number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marty. Mileage is 100248. Full VIN is WDB2094542T077064. Thanks.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Okay, actual timing chain failure on this motor is not common, especially if there is no check engine light illuminated. What is more common is a failure of the balance shaft in the motor. When the balance shaft fails it causes the check engine light to come on and will store fault codes for the camshaft timing. If there is no check engine light I suspect that the rattling noise is coming from outside the motor in the area of the serpentine belt or belt tensioner. I would suggest removing the belt as a test to see if the rattling noise goes away. If it does then your problem is outside the motor with one of the rotating components.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Marty