Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I own an A150 Mercedes motor car which was purchased from

I own an A150 Mercedes motor car which was purchased from Mercedes in Exeter approx six years ago.It currently has marginally over 33,000 on the clock and has been serviced twice yearly by Mercedes,Exeter. Whilst driving the car last Thursday week the engine 'blew up'.The car and passengers were taken by Mercedes to their showroom and workshop in Exeter. Mercedes have now advised me by telephone that the engine is beyond repair.(A con-rod has broken through the crank case.) Mercedes have advised me that a replacement engine supplied and fitted will cost approx £6000. Under the circumstances they are prepared to offer a contribution of £3000.I feel that this offer is insulting and unacceptable.I would be grateful to receive any comment or advice.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

as the car is out of warrenty then officially Mercedes aren't obliged to offer anything at all

however if you have a full MB service history and can show the car has always been maintained with the correct MB parts and fluids then they will have a remit from head office to make a contribution towards the cost

what might be a better compromise is if you were to source a good used engine and they fitted it for free

http://www.dronsfields.com/

if they are prepared to offer £3000 then this should cover the cost of a used engine and the labour required to remove the old and fit the replacement

however it is unlikely that they will offer any gaurentee on the engine by going this route

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you