Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2003 E320 cdi estate. engine light is on, was told

Customer Question

I have a 2003 E320 cdi estate. engine light is on, was told the actuator was causing the problem of lack of power, and smoking. I have had the complete turbo and and actuator refurbished by Essex Turbo. But this has not cured the problem of lack of power and smoking. Any ideas what I might try next? Robert
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't already then check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt I contacted my "MB expert" today, he said he has replaced the EGR valve, as I said, the turbo has been completely refurbished comes with a 2 year guarantee. He thinks the actuator is still not working, might be no electrical power getting to it? The smoke (unburned diesel) coming out the back might be an unrelated issue. Any ideas?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

According to my information the wastegate actuator is the old fashioned pneumatic type but if its the newer electric type then you can check the actuator is working by ensuring that you've pushed it fully home and then with your assistant watching the actuator turn the ignition on but do not try and start the engine

the actuator should move in and out while it 'learns' it position