Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

1990 / 91 model W124 3litre / 24valve model automatic

Customer Question

1990 / 91 model W124 3litre / 24valve model automatic transmission, all fwd. gears aok.
On level ground reverse works. With the car pointed nose down on a gentle slope / incline, I cannot get motion to move up the hill in reverse. The motor can "rev" out with no car movement. Question...Does it require a major overhaul or a minor overhaul? The cost of a major overhaul exceeds the value of the car. The total mileage is only 192,000Ks. What would you suggest. Thankyou, awaiting your reply.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will require removing the transmission and partially disassembling the unit to replace the reverse clutches. The reverse clutch drum is right at the front of the transmission. I have removed and replaced only the reverse clutches before to save the cost of an overhaul. You can still expect to pay about $1500 to remove and install the transmission and disassemble to replace the reverse clutches.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty