Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

How do I improve the performance of a 1999 Mercedes vito

how do I improve the performance of a 1999 Mercedes vito 108d w628 2295 75bhp engine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

1st thing to check is is you're actually getting the full amount of power you should be getting, I'd check the air filter isn't clogged and also replaced the fuel filter with a fresh one and also do a compression test across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

if this is all OK then you can potentially fit an exhaust with lower back pressure but to be honest there are very little products available for this engine and unlike the turbo version a chip tune won't do much

to be honest if the engine checks out OK and you still need more power then by far the easiest route is to sell your van and buy the turbo version

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I totally agree with your your report. I have changed the air filter and will change the fuel litter.and buy some chilling music to play as I cruise around the country. Engine is sound and will last forever.