Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2008 RHD 200 CDI Sport. 68000 Miles. Initially the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 RHD B 200 CDI Sport. 68000 Miles. Initially the problem was the 'engine' was noisy from start up, when the ambient temperature was low. It went away as soon as the engine warmed up or when the revs exceeded 900rpm. Now it is noisy on start up, even in warm weather, however the the noise only occurs when the engine is idling and disappears above 900 rpm. Although I refer to it as 'engine' noise I personally believe it is outside of the engine block. The sound is coming from an area below the battery box on the drivers side of the car. It is so bad that when I am stationary it attracts the attention on passers by.
Very embarrassing from a Mercedes.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  victoria-mod replied 1 month ago.
Victoria
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to say, Victoria, I am not altogether surprised. Let's give it 24 more hours then if I haven't had a response, I would like my money refunded. Thanks David.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

sorry about the wait

can you describe the noise for me ?

is its a regular tapping that increases in tempo with engine speed?

if so then it could be a sticking valve lifter, as these use a small hydraulic piston to take up the valve clearances and what can happen is the small oil ways that feed the piston chamber can get clogged up

So the 1st course of action is to try an oil flush treatment complete with a new filter and fresh oil

if you don't think this is it then try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired
If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you