Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hallo. Actros with fault message 23408 and 23224, displayin

Customer Question

Hallo. Actros with fault message 23408 and 23224, displayin fault recording in speed sensor. We changed the tachograph, but the vehicle was running fine.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you have any issues with the tacho recording speed?

if you don not then its likely that this is an issue with a wheel speed sensor rather than the main speed sensor

and with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hallo matt.
I have read your reply about the speed sensor., but I doubt that would cause the car not to move an inch.
The tachograph was stolen and we fit in another tachp from another actros and it's a good tacho. It immediately adjusted itsel and displayed the time and mileage that is displayed on the dashboard. Sta diagnosis shows those codes, AND THE MESSAGE OF FAULTY SPED SENSOR IS DISPLAYED ON THE DASHBOARD.
CAN THE TRUCK NOT MOVE WITHOUT THE TACHOGRAPH. IF THE TACHO CAN BE THE CULPRIT, PLEASE HELP WITH WIRING SCHEMATIC FROM TACHO TO THE SPEED SENSOR AS THE CONNECTOR B OF THE TACHO INDICATES A CONNECTION TO A SPEED SENSOR.
hELP WITH A CHART SHOWING ALL WIRES BEHIND THE TACHO AND THEIR ORIGIN AND COULOUR CHART AS IT SEEMS ORIGINAL WIRES ARE NO LONGER IN PLACE. THAKS IN ADVANCE
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

hello

thanks for the extra information

if the truck is immobilsed then I'd say its more likely to be the security system? does the engine start and run OK but has no power at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hallo Matt.
The engine is starting. Just that there is no effect when you press the the button of the lever to engage gears. as I told you previously, all came from the tacho they stole from the vehicle and after replacement of another good working(from a running vehicle), this is all we get(refer to my questions and explanaition)
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Ok I'll opt out and open this up to others

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok dear.
Can you redirect me to someone well conversant with mercedes car electrical systems. I have a W204 c200 Kompressor that switch its lights on by itself, and once on the dash board light flickers and the blue headlight symbol wil be flashing too and during this time all electronics are disturbed(no roof opening, light control, etc...) It comes once in a while
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey Matt, writing is ok as most times I am not near the car, and the time difference makes it harder. Hope to have my issue resolved here with you guys, in fact, that's what I expect!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hallo Matt. Your people haven't been of help. So far, you are the only only answering me here, never had help on this website as no replies since my registration. Maybe I should withdraw'