Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

My 2006 Merc 220d estate sounds like it's falling to bits

My 2006 Merc 220d estate sounds like it's falling to bits every time I hit a pothole or is very skittish over iron works. I've replaced various suspension bits and have been advised the shockers are OK. Wondering what else it could be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** common causes of this problem are loose lower ball joints or sway bar links. Occasionally we see worn control arm bushings or thrust arm bushings but when the complaint is related to hitting potholes or iron works the problem is usually with the ball joints or sway bar links. I also would not completely rule out the shocks. Bad shocks can cause the suspension to be very skittish over bumps. Also make sure that the tires are running at the proper pressure.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marty,
I will take your comments to my local garage. I just went through the suspension parts fitted in the last 18k miles as follows:
NSF Suspension Arm, NS Track Rod End, OSF Lower Suspension Arm, Antiroll Bar Link Bar and D Bar Bushes. These were not all at the same time. I did over 150k in my old Focus and never had any of these kind of problems.
Regards, Tony.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

OK Tony, let me know if you need anything.

Marty