Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I unfortunately put petrol in my diesel 220cla last

Hi I unfortunately put petrol in my diesel 220cla last Wednesday evening and drove for nearly a mile before I realised my mistake. It has been on the forecourt of my local mercedes dealer waiting for repair since which I am been told is now next Tuesday I am now thinking should I remove it due to the delay and send it to a cheaper approved garage or would it be wiser to leave it there
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** would suggest that you TOW the car to an independent Mercedes specialist to have the fuel tank drained and the filters replaced. Most Mercedes dealerships tend to make a bigger problem out of these situations than is actually the case. Emptying the tank and refilling with fresh diesel and replacing the fuel filter should resolve this problem.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Under no circumstances should you try to drive the car. Don't even try to start it until the tank has been drained and refilled with fresh diesel.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Marty you have said what I was thinking will have it towed of course do you think the small distance I did drive my vehicle might of caused damage.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

More than likely no harm has been done. The concern is damage to the high pressure fuel injection system but in most cases they do survive this.