Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

My 1998 Merc 240 C starts but immediately cuts out literally

Customer Question

My 1998 Merc 240 C starts but immediately cuts out literally a second later. The key sometimes gets stuck in the barrel, then turns without any power being found. Is there an easy solution? The AA reported:Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control - 33M / Motronic ME 2.0042 - Start attempt not authorized. Error Message : Operation implemented.non start suspected ignition switch faultmember
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With the start and stall as well as the key getting stuck and the not authorized fault this does sound like a fault with the ignition switch itself.I have seen the ignition switch fail/act up like this here before in the past and had to replace it for this issue here.I would have the fault code fully diagnosed that had come up when it was checked as it will lead to the component needing replaced.I do suspect this is the ignition switch itself needing replaced or a fault with the ignition cylinder needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete