Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

My 05 plate SLK350 has a problem with the drivers seat ie

Customer Question

My 05 plate SLK350 has a problem with the drivers seat ie when the seat heats up there a part which gets much hotter & almost burns my thigh. A friend has suggested there may be a recall on it but I’m struggling to get information? Can anyone help? I love the car & especially the heated seats otherwise, but this safety aspect is worrying &
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 11 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I dont see a recall myself but what happens is the heating element can short out in one area causing the excess heat.I have seen this myself and had to replace the seat heater element on the seat to resolve this issue.You would want to have this checked further to be sure this is the cause but it does sound to be the cause from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Pete - thanks- how easy was it for you to determine the cause of the element shorting? Could a car savvy ex husband or friendly reputable local garage do it, or would it need to go to a Mercedes specialist ?

Your welcome

In order to determine or see the short the seat cover has to be removed.Then they will see black or brown burn marks in the cover or seat cushion where it is shorting out at.In some cases you can actually see if from the cover with it on the seat still looking at it where you had felt the hot part.It may show a brown or black mark.This was a very common issue.But since it is still working the cover usually has to be removed to then inspect and replace it.This will take special tools to remove the rings from the cover as well as install new rings when the cover is installed.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete