Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 57 plate mercedes c320 cdi, which had some work

Hi, I have a 57 plate mercedes c320 cdi, which had some work done on it last week. New glow plug relay, tyres and rear light cluster. I mentioned that the heating was chucking out a foul smell, and asked for them to run a cleaner through it and they also changed the pollen filter. I've had a slight whistling noise coming from the pollen filter under the passenger console, and a tinkling noise from the engine (bit like rattling a screw in a glass jar). On start up yesterday morning, a high pitched screeching from the engine like a slipping fan belt and smell of burning rubber! This stopped after about a minute but heating now blowing out cold air, on low and on high settings, car didn't heat up in my 20 minute journey to work! Took in to the mechanics who worked on it last week, who said a wire could have came away when the pollen filter fitted but the electrics guy now away for a week. On my drive home (still freezing air blowing out) i stopped to get some shopping for about an hour, started the engine, same screeching noise and burning rubber for about 30 seconds. Drove slowly home and I heard a really loud fan noise coming from the engine, thought it was an aeroplane overhead... No it was my car! Turned engine off and the noise continued for about a minute or 2. I'm aware an engine fan stays on for a while once ignition turned off, but I've never heard such a loud noise. I'm lost for answers and frightened to drive the car now! Please help. Karen

Hi Karen, my name is***** don't think you should continue to drive the car in this condition. What you are describing sounds like a slipping belt, possibly due to a seized pulley or water pump. The burning smell would be the belt burning. The cooling fan running on high speed while driving and when turning the motor off is also an indication of an overheating situation. I would get the car back to the shop and have the mechanic inspect the belt and pulleys. The belt should be removed and each pulley should be checked individually. A poor circulation problem due to a slipping belt or seized water pump would also cause lack of cabin heat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh dear.. sounds expensive!! But the answer would make sense to why there is no heating also! I obviously need to get it to a more experienced mechanic, the guys that were there yesterday didn't have a clue..! Thanks for the advice

You're quite welcome.