Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 63 plate C220 estate. The problem I have is that

I have a 63 plate C220 estate. The problem I have is that the handbrake cable seems to stick when the weather gets cold and does not release the brakes. I have to try keep pulling the handbrake release and putting my foot under the pedal.

Hi, my name is***** for the wait on this question. Could you please post the 17 digit vehicle identification number (chassis number) so I can look up some information on your handbrake system.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The number is ***** hope this helps you out. It is the Parking brake i believe but don't know if it has separate shoes?

Hi, this car does have separate brake shoes for the parking brake. If the brake is sticking in the cold I would suspect a fault with the parking brake cables or the pedal and not the shoes themselves. I've attached a diagram of the cable system below. I would have the cables checked to see if they are moving freely. It's also possible that the pedal itself is not releasing. The shoes have some pretty hefty return springs so it is unlikely that the shoes are sticking unless they are rusted up.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Here is one more of the parking brake shoes and springs.