GL ITCS
GL ITCS, Consultant
Experience:  MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
74092784

I have opened a file from my outlook e-mail, worked on it and

Customer Question

I have opened a file from my outlook e-mail, worked on it and clicked save and close. Have now lost the file becasue I did not create a file to save it too
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.

GL ITCS :

Hi there, Thanks for dropping by. I really hope I can help you out with your IT issues, quickly and efficiently.

GL ITCS :

This all depends on what version of office you might be using, but I have to say at the outset that if you haven't saved it somewhere that you can recognise, you may well have trouble finding it. But you could try the following, and please let me know how you get on.

GL ITCS :

You may or may not be able to recover this document since the changes are saved in your Temporary Internet Files folder. Note that you can't just open your Temporary Internet Files folder directly and find it due to the way Windows handles your Temporary Internet files but if it's still available, here's how you can get it back:

1. Open another Word document sent to you as an attachment from an email. If you don't have one, send an email with an attachment to yourself. (While you should be able to open the same email attachement since another copy of the file is created in your Temporary Internet Files folder, I don't like taking a chance like that.)

2. Click the Office Button, point at Prepare, and then click Properties. The Properties pane will display below the Ribbon.

3. On the far right of the Properties pane you'll see a file path and the document name. Select only the file path and press Ctrl + C to copy it.

4. Press the WinKey + E to open the Windows Explorer. (Or use an alternate method to open it)

5. Paste the copied file path in the Address bar and press Enter.

These steps should put you either in the same location as your revised file or near it. You may need to dig around in other folders to locate it.

Note that if you're not using Word 2007 then please let us know the version of Word you are using so that we can provide the necessary steps. For previous versions, to find your version of Word, click Help and then click About Microsoft Word.

GL ITCS :

This is only a suggestion and not necessarily a fix/remedy for the problem, but I hope you have some luck (I know how painful it can be to work on a file, only then to lose it - I always, always save a document first, no matter what!). Please let me know how you get on.