GL ITCS
GL ITCS, Consultant
Experience:  MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
74092784

I have tried everything to reset my Microsoft account pass

Customer Question

I have tried everything to reset my Microsoft account pass word but can not
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble. What is preventing you from doing the password XXXXX?

Have you filled out the recovery form that asks you questions about your account and if so have you been denied?

I may be able to give you some further options but please realize that there is no way I can simply get you back into the account.

Please let me know the above.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried to put in the access code and also change it

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
So you are able to get the code sent to you?

How are you receiving the code, are you receiving it to a mobile phone or an alternate email account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my main account is on my laptop with windows 8 purchase last week

I set it up last Thursday with no problem but have not since then be able to access my account at all

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Yes I understand that you cannot access the account. You said that they gave you a code is that correct?

Maybe it would help if you told me step by step what you are doing and at exactly which point you are gettng stuck, do you think you could do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. on initial try to access from an app on the laptop start screen it kept saying code invalid

2. on trying to change code it keeps saying my attempt is not correct even though the series if letters and numbers are correct

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
You are clicking on the mail app is that correct?

Are you able to log in by going to account.live.com ?

If your password XXXXX XXXXX can you attempt to reset it or is this what you did.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the mail app allows me to see all my emails

however if I try to access my account it will not allow me to or change the pass word

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
My apologies but I am not sure the issue at this time so I will opt out and send your question to the top of the queue so one of my colleagues can assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I will wait

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, Thanks for dropping by. I really hope I can help you out with your IT issues, quickly and efficiently.

I am just reading through your issue and I will update shortly with some thoughts.

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
Just to see how much of a password XXXXX this is please, have you tried to access the email via your browser instead of the app please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I have tried it through all I can think of including the internett

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
Ok,

Please follow the instructions here carefully - don't forget that passwords are Case Sensitive, which means you should make sure that characters that should be in upper case are in upper case etc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/account-reset-password-forgot-faq

Go for the reset option (second) please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have tried this many times and it just comes up
The Microsoft account is incorrect. Please try again.

have just tried it again with same answer

I do no about the upper and lower case I have been using computers since the 1980`s

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
Understood that you know about PC's, however, we have to assume that not everyone does, hence my comment.

What appears to be the clue here is:

"The Microsoft account is incorrect"

So this could point to the problem, the account looks like it it the wrong one? Are you using a hotmail email address or outlook.com address to access this please?

Also, if you can type it in the question in this format

XXXXX XXXXX

at

hotmail.co.uk

This system will not allow us to see an email as it usually is written.

Please confirm the email that you are trying to access and we can continue to troubleshoot from there.

Cheers
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.

Sorry if I am not being clear, can you please type it in exactly the following format as below

Name

at

domain

So if your name was XXXXX XXXXX, and your email is outlook.com please type:

johnsmith

at

outlook

Exactly like that please, including the carriage returns

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

aj0041036

@

blueyonder.co.uk

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much.

Now I am confused, as you state in your original question that you are trying to reset your Microsoft account, and this isn't a Microsoft account.

Can you please explain to me in some detail exactly what it is that you are trying to achieve?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

using windows 8 on setting up my new laptop last week I was requested to open a Microsoft account using my email, which I have given you, this was confirmed on email from Microsoft and re confirmed from my self to Microsoft since then I have not been able to access this account in any way

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
What account do you use to log on to the laptop with then please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my email address which defaults to the Microsoft access which I can not change

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
I think the issue is that it isn't a Microsoft account that you are typing in, and it is not recognising it at their end.

You stated earlier that you are unable to access your account, do you mean your email account, ie the blueyonder one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can access my email account but I can not access my Microsoft account to allow me access to messages etc.

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
So your email is fine - blueyonder?

But you can't access a Microsoft account to access email mesaages is that right?

And you can log on to your laptop using the blueyonder account is that correct?

Do you have a copy of the email that Microsoft sent to you please, and could you copy and paste it up here for me to read?
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
Right, I can see what has happened.

You have created a Microsoft account.

So you need to ascertain exactly what the Microsoft account is that you created, that is why you are unable to log in or do anything with it, as it is not a Microsoft account.

Is there any mention in that email of an account at all please? Perhaps something @outlook.com or such like?
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.

Did you actually verify that account as well please?

Also at this point, I think it might be advisable to use the Microsoft account troubleshooter here, can you do that please and update me?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/sign-in-cant

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
Looking at this, i can see that you may well have used the blueyonder email to verify the account (i always use a microsoft one, makes it easier).

Did you actually verify it, from the link that you pasted in for me please?

That could be the issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I did

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.

And have you gone through the first process here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/sign-in-cant this should result in a download that you need to complete - have you done that?

Also, if you click on that link that asks you to verify, what actually happens please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is getting late and this is not working because I have done this before how can I contact you tomorrow to try and solve the problem

Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.

No problem, I will be online in the morning, any time after 10am. So just update this and we can get back to it.

Cheers

Gaz
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
I haven't heard anything from you, do you still require assistance please?