Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Hello hoping that you can help. My husbands pc has decided

Customer Question

Hello hoping that you can help.
My husbands pc has decided not to go any further than the page where he has to sign in with password XXXXX he can use the pc BUT even when we type the pasword in it does not put the letters on the screen just nothing and its a new keyboard and the pc is less than a year old.
PLEASE please help as my husband is visually impaired and the pc and internet is the only way he has any independence at all its urgent as he cant use the computer at all thank you
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Jess M. :

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today. Please tell me when you are ready for chat.

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

urgently now please

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

hello HELP PLEASE URGENT

Jess M. :

Is the problem computer a laptop or a desktop?

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

desktop

Jess M. :

Please tell me the make and model of this desktop computer.... (Like HP Pavilion DV2050)

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

HP ENVY

Jess M. :

model please....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

where do i find that please

Jess M. :

I believe in the stickers in the computer

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok HP ENVY h8 PC series

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

Model h8-1485ea

Jess M. :

Thank you for that information.... Now, when you turn on the computer, after seeing the HP logo, is that the time when the keyboard stopped working and you are unable to sign in to your Windows account?

Jess M. :

Or you are able to login to Windows and use the computer but cannot access the internet?

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

yes thats right , i tried a new keyboard well2 actually as well and it wont accept the letters at all just stays on the log in screen with your pic onit where you have to put your password in

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

if that makes sense

Jess M. :

Ok. Please bear with me for the inquiries since I need to understand your actual problem before I can give a solution... Is this login screen a Windows Login? Here is a sample screen....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

did not get the sample screen from you but i think i know what you mean

Jess M. :

Full Size Image

Jess M. :

Is that a screen similar to what you are seeing there?

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

sort of yes

Jess M. :

Or is the computer running Windows 8?

Jess M. :

It can be like this image

Jess M. :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

its the screen where like that it has hic pic and he has to type the password into the blank box but it will not do this

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

yes he is running windows 8

Jess M. :

So I believe the last image is similar?

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

thats the page he gets up

Jess M. :

so the problem is, he or you know the password but there is NO keyboard input?

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

the keyboard and mouse are both working but the problem is that when he tries to type his password into the box NO letters at all go in to the box and yes its the correct password as i have also tried for him same thing happens the box stays blank

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

he cannot get any further and this is his life line being honest as he is visually impaired so this gives him independence

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

keyboard is connect properly into the USB port as well

Jess M. :

I understand your concerns and I am sorry about the issue.... now you said that the KB and mouse are working, please click on the password box and see if the cursor starts to blink there...if it blinks there, then try to type anything and see if entry is accepted

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

we have tried that and yes it blinks but then when you type nothing goes into the box at all

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

the black line just keeps blinking at us grrrrrrrrrr flaming things LOL

Jess M. :

That is kinda weird...Please give me a moment to check current issues of Windows 8....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok thanks

Jess M. :

Are you using Microsoft Keyboard and mouse?

Jess M. :

or HP keyboard?

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

both as mouse came with the pc and the keyboard we got BUT until today they have always worked and he has been using them for almost a year now so its not going to be an incompatablility issue with them as they have always worked

Jess M. :

Ok.... Please do these steps:

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok

Jess M. :

1. Restart the computer
2. When it is restarting, press Del key or F2 key to enter BIOS screen

Jess M. :

Tell me when you are in the BIOS screen already....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok will do soon as that screen is up

Jess M. :

Please take your time and let me know.... I believe you are still able to press F2 or Del to access your BIOS since your keyboard only stops at the login screen....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

he is still trying to get it to restart grrrrrrrr so gona trow it out the patio door but will tell you soon as on Bios screen

Jess M. :

alright... there are 2 keys to press to enter into BIOS and the key depends on the kind of BIOS your PC has. The keys are Del or F2. Besides, the screen will show which key is needed to access BIOS Setup

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

trying to get him to do this please be paitient as he is not well and this is getting to him thanks x

Jess M. :

no problem...i am still here....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

THANK YOU hun xx

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

sorry hun he is not fully with me so can you tell me what to do if and when he gets to the BIOS screen thanks

Jess M. :

Thank you.... When he gets the BIOS screen, you need to navigate the menus using arrow keys. Then locate an option there in the BIOS that is called "USB Legacy Mode" or "Legacy USB Mode".

Jess M. :

When you find that setting, set it to DISABLED.

Jess M. :

Save the changes and then exit.

Jess M. :

That should resolve the issue... If the problem continues, just let me know.

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

many thanks and will try that soon as he can

Jess M. :

Yes, please take your time... Is he trying it now? If not, let us try another easy fix but this requires manual intervention.....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

lets try anything to get it working please

Jess M. :

The procedures I just gave you should make it work. But if you or he is having difficulty following the BIOS procedures, we can try another one. Here are the steps:

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok thanks

Jess M. :

1. Shutdown the computer completely.
2. Unplug ALL power cables attached to the computer. This is why I said this requires manual intervention.
3. Make sure that the power cord from the computer box is unplugged from the power source.
4. If the computer has a separate monitor, (unlike All-In-One computers), unplug the power cord of the monitor as well.
5. If there are printers or scanners or any other devices attached to the computer, please unplug all power cords of these devices.
6. In short, please CUT all power connections of the computer from the main power source.

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

wow ok

Jess M. :

7. Then leave the computer and other attached devices UNPLUGGED for 2 minutes (120 seconds)

Jess M. :

8. After that, plug all power back in, then turn on the computer.

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok fingers crossed

Jess M. :

Please take your time.....

Jess M. :

How is it going?

Jess M. :

I am still standing by here waiting for your results....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

sorry for the delay my husband suffers very badly from PTSD ex army and gets very confused and lost in his own world and it takes a while for me to get trough to him

Jess M. :

ok... no problem... please take your time....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

But i have written down what you have suggested and will get him to try so you can go rather than wait on here for ages

Jess M. :

yeah, that is cool :)

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

thanks for your help

Jess M. :

You're welcome.... I hope that helped....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

i so hope it does when i get him to do it all cheers

Jess M. :

Thanks.... I am just standing by here should you need further assistance....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

thanks will get back but could be quite a while

Jess M. :

yeah... no problem. please take your time....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok could be a long wait lol

Jess M. :

It's alright.... just let me know your results so that I can help you further, anytime...

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

will do

Jess M. :

Thanks.....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

no worries

Jess M. :

I suggest that you bookmark this page so that you can get back to me easily. You can get back to me any time through the link in your bookmarks or Favorites....

JACUSTOMER-cerq9fti- :

ok thanks will do it now

Jess M. :

Thank you. I will just wait for your results then... If you need further assistance, please let me know so that I can help you further. If this helped, please remember to rate my answer positively.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M. :

How is it going? Were you able to follow the steps I gave you? Thanks, Jess

Jess M. :

Hi, I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you need further assistance with this, please don't hesitate to let me know, I am here to help.

Best regards,
Jess