jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

windows 8 - administrator password XXXXX but correct password

Customer Question

Cannot open Administrator account in Windows 8 . Password XXXXX but correct password XXXXX

There is also a guest account without a password XXXXX opens before the administrator account which I am presently using but need access to administrator account for updates etc.

Hope you can help.

Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Are you using a local account on the computer, or your Windows Live Account eg: Does it end with @hotmail.com or similar?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does not end with @hotmail.com or similar?

Not sure what local account means.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
ok, then it is a local account Mary

Turn off the computer.

Hold SHIFT down and turn on the computer and keep tapping F8 with Shift held down.

Tell me when you get to a menu.

try a few times as it is tricky to do
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried 4 times but the guest account opens normally each time - it is not password XXXXX

I am using the guest account at the moment but need to access administrator account ASAP

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Yes I understand.

ok, access the menu this way

When logged in as Guest, hit CTRL, ALT, DEL to bring up the selection screen, and choose logout, restart. Then hold down the Shift key and you will be taken to the window via which you can choose Safe Mode ect.

Let me know when you are there please.