Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My email account was "hacked" and disabled, I have tried to

Customer Question

My email account was "hacked" and disabled, I have tried to re-activate the account but the answers I have provided on 3 occasions appear to be incorrect and I do not know what else to do to re-activate the account
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Chris and I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Are you saying that you have now filled out the security questionnaire and been denied 3 times and advised to create a new account?

Please let me know so I may further assist.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - have replied via my Daughters email account as requested and each time she receives the response that the link has been sent but never arrives to her email so I am presume some of my answers do not match what Hotmail believe they should be!

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
When you are denied you are told that you are denied so let's not presume. What does the email say that she received?

Does it say that they will send a link in 24 hours? Or does the email say that you did not provide enough correct information?

Has your daughter checked her spam folder for the link?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi upon submission of the answers a logo appears saying a link will has been sent but the response then appears that not enough correct information has been given

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok then this does mean not enough correct information has been provided.

It can be very difficult if not impossible to get the account back if you cannot verify with the form. I have spent many hours researching the options and have helped hundreds of hotmail users that are in your same position.

The methods I am going to share with you are not made public by hotmail but they do in fact work. You will need to be patient though as it could take a couple days. Considering you are about to lose your account though, a few days is worth the wait. It is incredibly important that you very carefully follow my instructions so you complete the procedure correctly.

An option is to reach out to a hotmail representative on their forums, they have access to look deeper into the account and sometimes can help in these situations.

First you are going to need to create another email address with Hotmail. Please go to the following link to create that.
https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx

Once you create the new address do the following.

Please click http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/hotmail/hotmail-support

Next choose "Your account has been temporarily blocked"

Tell them you have not been successful with the recovery form.

Be sure that under "Enter the email address (Microsoft Account) affected by this issue:"

You provide them the email address that is blocked and not the new one.

Under ‘Enter your contact email address:' give them the new account you just created.

In most cases they will respond in 24-72 hours, depending on how many requests they have waiting before yours.

A moderator can take a closer look at your account and work with you to try and help you get back in.

Microsoft/Hotmail takes account security very serious which is why they make this so difficult and make you confirm all of that information. It is to prevent unauthorized access to your account. Since it is a free service you cannot simply verify your billing information such as name and address so you need to verify information about the account and hotmail leaves it up to you to keep the account secure. Unfortunately many people do not know about all the of the security measures you should have in place until it is too late.

I hope that this information helps you get into your account. I would kindly ask you to remember when you are asked to rate my service you are rating me personally. You are not rating hotmail or their procedures or your frustration with the situation which I know is difficult.

If you need further clarification please let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.

I see you opened some duplicate questions, please reply to me here and tell me how I can further help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I did as you suggested, created another account, and finally got a response from Microsoft, but in order to view there response with a reference number and a link to another Microsoft site which I had to then have the site as a "trusted site" on my computer, there were some instructions : go to tools, internet options, sites, trusted sites, and add...but there my limited expertise ended and I could go no further - so I cannot as yet access the actual response from Microsoft! Help please

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok it sounds like perhaps it would help if I connected to your and viewed the email you received so I could makes sense of it for you. Would you like to try that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes no prob just tell me how?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Please click on the link below to connect. If anything pops up asking you to allow or run make sure you say yes.
You need to click the link I give you and then click Join.

Next a small file will be downloaded, pay attention to an alert letting you know that it was downloaded and choose to Run the file.

If you do not see this then hold CTRL and J to open your downloads folder and double click the file called elsinore.

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=2b1b993c-ae9d-4dcf-a868-03c5918b5329

.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
I am going to leave the password reset page up.

In the yahoo account should be an email from microsoft. There will be a long link to reset the password. Click that link, if you cannot click it manually copy and paste it into the address bar on the top and choose a new password.

That should get you back into the account.

Once that is done go to account.live.com and update all of your information, make sure you have your current phone number and other email addresses on the account.

If you need help reply to me and let me know.
-Chris
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Was your daughter able to help you get back into the account with the password reset link?