Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I recently purchased Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013

Customer Question

I recently purchased Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 to run on an hp Pavilion computer using Windows 8. I can get to Excel and Word but each time I click to open a blank worksheet or even to take the Tour, I get the message that "excel has encountered a problem and will close the program and try to find a solution" I have left it running for 1/2 an hour or so but it has failed to find any solution. Power Point also produces the same message but still works and I have been able to build a test presentation of 7 slides. This new computer is a replacement and my son has copied files from a computer where Windows XP finally refused to operate at all. I first installed Open Office in order to be able to work with spreadsheets and a word processor without incurring the cost of Windows Office and this has worked OK, but I later decided to purchase and install Office to be up-to-date. My son, (I am 73 and a long way from being fully computer literate) has done everything that he knows to solve this problem but has so far been unsuccessful. Can you help me to solve this problem and get Office working properly. Oliver Hale UK
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can you close all programs please.

Pres the windows key + X and choose Control Panel.

Click Programs, Uninstall a program.

click on Office, click Change, Repair and choose to repair online.

Once completed, restart the computer and tell me if Office is now functioning please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Richard. Thank you for your answer. I have followed you instructions carefully and it has change things a little. When I went into excel I was asked to "sign in" which hadn't been asked for before. However, when I clicked on "tour" it came up with the same message " excel has encountered a problem and has to close etc." The same thing happened with "word" During the repair process when it is "wrapping things up" a message came up quite early as the (I don't know what you call the progressive bar that shows how far its got) saying that Power Point wasn't working. I ignored the message and let it run to completion. Power Point did work with a file that had been generated by PP. Excel and word are being asked to open files that have been generated by other programs. They do however, have acceptable formats like ". .xlr for excel and .rtf for word. I've never had the opportunity to generate files. This time I didn't try to open a file, only to take the tour or open a blank sheet, which only produced the message "program has stopped working" There is quite a mixture of documents on this computer now and somehow I have acquired 3 folders of Documents. One called "my Documents, one, Documents and yet another called Documents" Could this have anything to do with the problem. Oliver

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It may have Oliver

But to clarify, can you open Excel files?
Expert:  Zoe-cssm replied 3 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/microsoft-office/84kx8-recently-purchased-microsoft-office-home-student-2013.html

The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Richard. Sorry that I have been so long in repling, after I had carefully followed your directions the web page had been lost and I, being old (73) and now also stupid, couldent get it back. I seem to have put my reply onto a new order number which obviously didn't get to you. Thanks for your e mail which I can now reply to. Your instructions changed things just a little. When I went into excel I was asked to "sign in" which hadn't been asked for before. However, when I clicked on "tour" it came up with the same message " excel has encountered a problem and has to close etc." The same thing happened with "word" During the repair process when it was "wrapping things up" a message came up quite early as the (I don't know what you call the progressive bar that shows how far its got) saying that Power Point wasn't working. I ignored the message and let it run to completion. Power Point did work with a file that had been generated by Power Point. Excel and word are being asked to open files that have been generated by other programs. They do however, have acceptable formats like ". .xlr for excel and .rtf for word. I've never had the opportunity to generate files. This time I didn't try to open a file, only to take the tour or open a blank sheet, which only produced the message "program has stopped working" There is quite a mixture of documents on this computer now and somehow I have acquired 3 folders of Documents. One called "my Documents, one, Documents and yet another called Documents" Could this have anything to do with the problem. Last evening, my son looked on a forum type website and 3 people said that Norton had to be uninstalled when Office was being installed. He did this but it gave no improvement. I have noticed a few other things that don't look quite right. With Office installed, it hasn't been included in the list of programs which are presented when I try to fit default programs to file formats. I have also noticed that the computer does not go into stand by mode, which suggest to me that there is a program running in the background. And lastly, when I got this refurbished computer, I got a window when setting it up, which showed that M.Soft Office needed to be activated. I ignored this and went for the free "Open Office" I have never been able to find that window again and so Microsoft Office was purchased and installed by a different route. Could any of these things be relevant. If I can't get it to run this time, I shall give up and stay with what I've got. Olly

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Olly

Considering all the changes that have been done on this computer, it will be one of these changes that have caused your issues.

You will really be looking at a reinstallation of windows to resolve this, or to use what you have.

I can assist you with the reinstallation, just let me know.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.