Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I am trying to back up my PC to create a restore point. I have just

Customer Question

I am trying to back up my PC to create a restore point. I have just bought and added Toshiba 500gb external hard disc which is recognised but when i try to back up a get an error message: A volume shadow copy service component encountered an unexpected error Error Code 0x81000031

Can you help?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What version of windows are you using?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

windows 7 home premium

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok there are a few different things that can cause this.
So if one of the troubleshooting steps does not change anything click on reply to expert and let me know.

The first thing we are going to check is the libraries.
Click on start and then click on computer.

On the left side move anything you have stored in your libraries folders to your desktop so you will not lose them.
Do not move the entire folders themselves only what is inside them.

Then right click on libraries and click on restore default libraries.
Once done check the problem again and see if the same thing happens.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried your suggestion. I am sorry but it made no difference - i still receive the same error message

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok next we need to see if you have bit locker encryption enabled and if it needs to be repaired.
If it is not already connect the drive to the computer.

You may want to created recovery discs before doing this, especially as it is possible we will need it.
To do that click on start and then type "create system repair disc" click on it and follow the instructions.

We need to open an elevated command prompt.
To do that click on start and type in CMD then right click on command prompt and click on run as administrator.
Do this even if you are an administrator on the computer.

Once it is type this in the box that comes up exactly as I have it including both spaces and symbols.

C:\Windows\System32\REAgentC.exe /disable

Once you have press enter and disconnect the drive.
Then in that same window as before type in this:

C:\Windows\System32\REAgentC.exe /enable

If it fails run the system recovery disc you created before.
Reconnect the drive to the computer and test it again.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ido not have any discs available

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You can try the steps without a disc, but if you get a failed message near the end you would need to create discs.
You can get back to me anytime by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry but the reply was incorrect address

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
When did you get that?
Did you make sure to use an elevated command prompt?
Did you make sure to keep all spaces an symbols?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Freddy this is not working I have to go to work in a moment. I want justanswer to refund my £28 to my PayPal account