Ask Matt based in East Anglia,UK Your Own...

Matt based in East Anglia,UK
Matt based in East Anglia,UK, Office Guru
Experience:  Has been in IT for over 20 years from supporting trading floors to home and business support.
76307198

Having upgraded Microsoft 8.0 to 8.1 I am unable to run my

Customer Question

Having upgraded Microsoft 8.0 to 8.1 I am unable to run my Microsoft train simulator games. When I go into the main menu of the game I get a load of letters and numbers across the screen and are unable to continue. I have taken all the games off and just reloaded the original game and get the sane problem. Everything worked previously in window 8. Can you help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Matt based in East Anglia,UK replied 3 years ago.
Hi I will try to help, can you tell me what video card you have and what version of train simulator you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Train simulator original 1.0 win 32, I have not put the updates available from Microsoft back on or the update available on severn valley game, but just the original.this computer dates from about October last year.

lenovo win 8drivers

Hi, I have looked in to the issue and it appears that there are a lot of issues with Windows 8.1 and ATI graphic card drivers.

Can you confirm what type of card you have? It will be Nvidia, ATI or Intel most likely.

In either case the best thing to do an check is if you have the latest drivers installed if you can perform the below I am hoping that the card will update and help you get the game to run.

Follow the steps to update the graphics card driver:

a. Press Windows key + X key and click on Device manager.
b. Search for Display Adapters.
c. Right-click on the graphics card and click on Update driver software.

Please let me know the outcome.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The driver card is intel(R) hd graphics.

I did what you said and it came back with you have the best card for you.

Ok Can you send me a screen shot of the error screen that appears please?

To perform a screen print simply press the 'prt scr' button on the keyboard and then open up word (if installed)and click 'edit' followed by 'paste' and attach it to this thread, in the mean time I will look at issues related to intel cards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unfortunately I don' seem able to do this. I have tried to follow your instruction, but unable to transfer page to word.

I am happy to take over your machine remotely and look? you will be able to see exactly what i am doing and disconnect me at any time.
Before we do that however I have seen on forums that uninstalling and the re-installing the game has achieved results.

Please also be aware that because of the age of the game it may not be possible to get it to work properly but I will try for you.

To un-install the program hold down the windows key and press 'r' in the run box type appwiz.cpl and click OK - you should be able to find Train Simulator and un-install the product - after un-installing please restart and then install from your CD or download.

If this fails it is possible to roll back to windows 8 from 8.1 which I can help you with if you so wish.

Also I need to point out the the windows 8.1 to 8 downgrade is only possible if you have a system image of the machine. Lets hope the re installation of the game works.