Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6 WILL NOT OPEN DUE TO 0x800C012E,E ERROR

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

To clarify, you get this error when you open Outlook? or when you try to send an email?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when itry to open outlook express.the error is 0x800C012E,5, ALSO msoe.dll is not available or corrupted + memory may be full

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Ray

when did this problem start?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

after installing win xp, setting up separate account for my wife and moving her message store to same location as mine

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, so you setup the account for the wife in outlook express, then closed it and moved here message store files to a different location correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

correct. She is sharing the message store with me. I can open my own oe account but hers will not open due to the error already given you. We have separate windows accounts.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, thats the reason, you cannot move the message store Ray, as it needs to find it where it stores it

You need to move here Store back to its original location, and it will then open.

Can you do this please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me explain a little more. I set up my own windows account, with oe operational. following this, i set up a windows account account for my wife, oe opened ok but because we share an email address we like to use the same message store. i tried moving her message store (empty) to the same folder as mine. This it did and my messages were accessible in her account.This has worked satisfactorily before, however now when we try to open her account the error referred to occurs and we cannot open OE. This means we can't move her message store back to the original location

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, so with my question before Ray, exactly how long ago were you able to open Outlook?

When did it open with your account only?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i can still open my outlook express when in my windows account. i have not been able to open my wife's oe when in her windows account since i set it up two days ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, do the following please in your account

In outlook, go to

Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start>Run>Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box -

Click OK and you'll see the OE files.

Otherwise, write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
In WindowsXP the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder
Options>View.

Then close OE, find the DBX file for the folder in
question {Inbox.dbx} and rename it to Inboxold.dbx.

A new, empty Inbox will be created automatically when you open OE.

Then log in with your wifes account and tell me if it now opens please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, yes it now opens ok. Can I now reimport the inbox messages?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Good, then the inbox was corrupted Ray.

As it is Outlook Express, you have to use this tool

http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

They charge for it but it is the only way to do the import.

But you can see if it will open as a folder in Outlook, rename it again to a folder name eg: ray.dbx

Does it then show as a folder Ray in outlook?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, I'm sorry we are back to square one
I was able to get my previous inbox messages back into my account under a new folder name but could then not open my wifes oe. I have tried copying the complete message store to another folder, then deleting all the messages in the old folder and deleting all the folders except the 'standard ones' present when oe starts for the first time. I still can't open my wifes oe account in her windows account and get the 0x800 message as before plus the bit about full memory - there is plenty - and msoe.dll could not be initialized etc. Do you have any further thoughts please?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
If you repeat my instructions I gave that got it working, does it correct the issue Ray?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, it doesn't make any difference Richard - smae messages occur

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, sorry I am not clear on what went wrong as we got it working for you.

Exactly what did you do after we got it working?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i had a folder named transfer. I renamed inboxold as transfer.dbx then copied all messages from my oe into new folder using windows explorer loaded oe and imported only the messages in transfer.dbx from it into oe/transfer. Then i went to my wifes win account, then attempted to open oe. Result: messages as referred to . Next , deleted all messages from my oe folder and all the folders except the standard ones. My oe opens but with no messages at all as expected. My oe message store is on E:\OEMail, op. system is on C:\ My wife's oe still will not open.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, remove the transfer.dbx file from there folder

Basically undo what you did after we got it working

Does it then start?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, my oe message store has only now got deleted items, drafts, inbox, outbox, sent items and offline as folders and they are all empty. Are you wanting me to put all the messages back where they were? I don't see this is going to help. I think we need to consider the error messages when i try to load my wife's oe and why msoe.dll doesn't initialise.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
We just need to undo Ray, what you did when we got it opening again.

Thats what you need to do. It was working, you just need to undo what you did that stopped it working.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right, we are back to square 2. Message folder has empty inbox, inboxold contains old inbox. My wife's oe still gives error messages as before. Where to next? The only way I know of getting my wifes oe going again is to delete her windows account and start a new one in which her oe mail is stored in its initialized folder, but then of course all her other software then has to set up all over. Is there something in the software that prevents independent users sharing the same message store and in a different location to the one that oe sets up initially?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is not the recommended way to use OE, and why your getting the error. OE is designed for seperate stores, like all email programs (though with Outlook 2003+ you can use additional profiles)

But if you make a new account, her software should be there unless you installed it specifically for that user.

Make a new account for her and check if the software is there Ray.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, I agree all the software will be there, it's the personalising that will need re-doing. Maybe we've been very lucky with another computer we have that has operated satisfactorily with this message storing arrangement for several years. We don't seem to have got very far.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, I provided the instructions to get it opening, which initially worked.

But I dont really know what has been changed since then to stop this.

Personalising is minimal Ray, can you create the second account and tell me if it opens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I have created a new account in windows. OE opens ok in it. I then tried moving the message store to the desired (shared) location
. This worked OK without the usual errors. Closed oe then started again. No problem. Logged out of the new account then back in and started oe OK. Only thought - I set up account with full privileges, if I go back and change these to limited am I going to get the original problem, or is it that if the account is originally limited, you can't change the message store to the same location as that of an administrator?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You should not have the issue making the account limited Ray, this should have no impact.

but you cannot have it in the same area as that of an administrator as it does not have the rights to access it.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues