Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I cant get my new laptop to let me put in a new account password.

I can't get my new laptop to let me put in a new account password. It keeps asking for
the last password XXXXX onto it; I have forgotten that password XXXXX am completely stiuck. Help!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me please which version of Windows you are running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

windows 8

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Eileen

You will need to refresh the computer, there is no other way to remove the password.

This will not touch your data but you will need to install your programs again

To do this, turn off the computer.

Hold down SHIFT and with it held down, turn on the computer and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

Choose Troubleshoot

Then choose to Refresh your PC

Let it complete and when it has, you can set up a new windows account again.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it my computer or the new laptop I do the refreshing on?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The new Laptop, the Laptop that has the issue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Eileen, your last message was blank

Can you repeat it please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
laptop not responing at all- just bringing up the same request as before - no menu appearing. Tapping F8 has no effect
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eileen

Your last message came up blank sorry.

You need to HOLD SHIFT DOWN before you turn on the computer and keep it held down and then tap F8 util you get to the menu, with SHIFT still held down.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No menu appearing -just the same box asking for the password XXXXX continuing to tap F8 only fills the password XXXXX with more dots.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Eileen

I need you please to do my instructions correctly.

You are not using SHIFT.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really am , and have been, holding shift down as advised, to no avail

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, at the login screen, hold SHIFT down and with it held down, click on the power icon and click restart

This will also get you to the menu.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry but which is the power icon?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
you will see it in the bottom right on the login screen.

It is the circle with a line through half of it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh richard I must have touched the RESTART in advertantly, while aiming of course for the refresh, haven't pressed the next step of course but can't get back to refresh pageand now i Have a blank screen an d thye on/off button only flashes on and off but wont turn on. My fault obv,ly but can you advise? Is it busy getting rid of everything?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, it is not getting rid of everything Eileen.

hold the power button down until the laptop is completely off.

Then turn it on and try again.

If this fails, tell me the make and model of the Laptop please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Turned it off by holding button down. Light went off and screen blank. But all I get when I try to switch it back on is light flashes a few times , nothing happens and light goes off. I press to turn it back on but even after waiting and trying to turn it back on blue light flashes, screen remains black and light goes out .

So, details: Packard Bell Easy Note TE

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, then we need to do a Factory Restore.

This will remove the data but there is no way to avoid this.

To do this

Turn off the computer.

Turn it on and keep tapping F10 until you get to the recovery manager

Follow the onscreen steps to perform a Factory Restore.

This will reinstall Windows and return the Laptop to new (with no password) so you can set it up again.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard it won't turn back on. As I said, blue light flickers on and

off a few times and then goes off. Nothing but a dark screen no matter what I do. Should I try switching it off at the socket for a few minutes before having another go?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes please Eileen.

this sounds like a hardware fault (which explains why you could not do my initial instructions).

But switch it off at the socket and hold the power button down for 30 seconds.

Then connect it back to the socket and try my instructions again.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, it's back on but showing the last screen with Reset your PC. How do I get rid of that ? I can't start your factory restore instructions as it is now.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Choose Reset your PC Eileen

This is the option you want.

but it can take up to an hour to complete, so let it complete (you will see it running on the screen).

Let me know the results please
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues