IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Launch startup repair (recommended) does not work and I cannot

Customer Question

Launch startup repair (recommended) does not work and I cannot use my Dell Inspiron running Widows 7. I am not best pleased as I have so much work to do! How do I get out of this problem please?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

It seems that something has happened to boot files which are needed to properly load Windows 7. Since Startup repair didn't help, please do the following:

First, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu which looks like this:

Once you see that menu, select the Repair Your Computer option and press Enter. Wait for a while and follow the on-screen instructions. You should get to the window that has several repair options. There select System Restore.

When you click on System Restore, follow the on-screen instructions where you can choose one restore point based on a date to revert system settings back to that date (when all worked fine). Wait for the process to finish and it will automatically restart a computer. Hopefully, the problem will be gone. Don't worry about your personal files as they won't be affected by System Restore.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Selected Systems Restore but did not get the options in your second screen layout

Got two other options

Launch Startup Repair (. Recommended)
And

Start Windows normally

It then restarts with Starting Windows
and then

Dell Inspirion

Then back to the same 2 options- in a tight loop every 30 secs

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by "Selected Systems Restore but did not get the options in your second screen layout"?

Were you able to access System Restore and then choose a restore point in order to revert system settings back to that date?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Able to access System Restore but no restore point

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Make sure to check the "Show more restore points" check-box so that it can display all available restore points.

It's strange if there are no restore points at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just received a message BOOTMGR is corrupt the system cannot boot
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Is that a desktop computer or a laptop computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Desktop Dell Inspiron
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
OK.

Based on the information you have written so far, it seems it is a hard disk failure. However, sometimes you just need to disconnect the hard disk drive, clean the connectors for dust and reconnect it.

If you are able to do that, please do, and check if there will be any changes. Just remember to power off the computer and remove the power supply connector before disconnecting the hard disk drive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not able to take my PC apart - any other ideas like reloading the BOOTMGR.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Startup Repair and System Restore are used to repair BOOTMGR and other similar startup problems. However, if this is a hardware problem - for example hard disk has been disconnected or there is dust on connectors, you will need to disassemble the computer to get to the hard disk.

In case the hard disk is fine, and Startup Repair and System Restore cannot help, you have two options:

1. restore computer data and settings to factory defaults usng Dell recovery

2. re-install Windows 7 using a Windows 7 disc

What do you see about that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not too happy as I don't have either discs I do not know where they are

I have just had another message.

The file is possible corrupt the file header checksum does not match computed chechsum
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Most Dell computers have a separate hard disk partition where a factory system backup is stored. To access it, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. There select Repair Your Computer option and press Enter. Wait for a while and follow the on-screen instructions. You should get to the System Recovery Options window that has several options. Last option should be Dell recovery, as shown on this picture:

You can check if you have that option so that you can attempt to restore your computer to factory condition. It should make your computer bootable again, but it will delete all data on your computer and it will work only if the hard disk is still physically connected and working.

Other than that, I don't see what else you can do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pressing F8 Achieves nothing at all

I think my Pc is stuffed I think I will buy a new laptop and get the data on the hard drive transferred if possible
These things occur at the most inconvenient time.

Thanks for trying

I think it is time to admit that the m/c just like humans had died or at least decided to go into retirement

Let's call it a day 49 Euros spent - achievement 0

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry for the problem you are experiencing.

I provided all the possible suggestions based on your input, and as I mentioned, this appears to be a hard disk failure - hardware problem.

Anyway, if you are not satisfied with the service you received here on JustAnswer, I can request a refund to be issued to you, unless you are willing to pay for my assistance regarding your problem.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am happy with your efforts just upset that I am without a computer for a period of time and cannot access my data and programs , and the problem has not been fixed.

Can anew hard drive solve the problem provided all the software and data can be migrated successfully?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Accessing and transferring data from one hard disk drive to another depends on the condition of the current hard disk drive.

If it is not completely "dead", you will be able to access it and transfer data when you reinstall Windows on another hard disk. Or, if you are planning to buy a laptop, you can put the hard disk drive into an external hard disk enclosure and connect it via USB cable. That will allow you to access the data on any computer, but you need to have that hard disk enclosure first.

Buying a new hard disk will require installing it in your computer so you would need to disassamble the computer. So, my suggestion is to first disassamble the computer if possible and disconnect the hard disk drive, clean the connectors and other motherboard area for dust and then reconnect it. If the problem is be the same, then you can buy a new hard disk.

Regards,
IT Miro