GL ITCS
GL ITCS, Consultant
Experience:  MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
74092784

I have just undertaken a clean installation of Windows 8.

Customer Question

I have just undertaken a clean installation of Windows 8. Repeatedly my USB Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 & USB Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 freeze. This happens most frequently after the PC has been left running for a short while with no mouse/keyboard inputs. To resolve the problem I then either have to extract and re-insert the approrpiate USB plug in the PC or reboot the PC. I have checked that I have the latest Windows updates installed and also that the drivers are the latest versions; also the sleep command in the appropriate device manager has been disabled.

Can you resolve the problem?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 2 years ago.

GL ITCS :

Hi there, Thanks for dropping by. I really hope I can help you out with your IT issues, quickly and efficiently.

GL ITCS :

Is this Windows 8 or 8.1 please?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

Windows 8 64-bit

GL ITCS :

Were you using the mouse/keyboard with 8 before, as you say "clean installation" or was this an upgrade from something else, like 7 etc?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

This was a 'clean installation' using a Windows DVD.

GL ITCS :

Did the keyboard etc work fine under another operating system then, like 7?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

Both the mouse and the keyboard have operated correctly (with XP) prior to the build of this PC. the only problems experienced have been when Win 8 installed.

GL ITCS :

Clearly then, it is 8 that is the issue, when you look in Device manager, do any of the drivers show up with an exclamation mark please?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

No. ....just checked to confirm.

GL ITCS :

Almost certainly USB drivers for the hardware, they could show up as OK, but in fact they don't work.

GL ITCS :

2 secs please

GL ITCS :

are the devices in a usb 3 or 2 port please?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

USB 2.

GL ITCS :

what is the make of the pc as well?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

Self-built. Based on a

MSI P33 Motherboard C847IS-Mini-ITX.

GL ITCS :

do you have usb 3 ports please?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

No. Just 4 - USB 2 ports (Back) + 2 - USB 2 ports (front). Mouse and keyboard plugged into rear ports.

GL ITCS :

Have you updated the BIOS for the motherboard and does the manufacturer support state that W8 is supported?

GL ITCS :

Also, how old is the mobo?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

Mobo purchased about 9 months ago. Have not updated BIOS; will need to check if manufacturer states suport for W8.

GL ITCS :

Ok, if you want to do that then please, we can simply leave this open until we find out the cause of the issue ok? Just get back to me when you can please.

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

Have just checked the manufacturer's website for this board and: "MSI designed the board with modern UEFI BIOS, which lets you take advantage of Windows 8 Secure Boot feature." I assume thatis means the board is W8 compatible.

GL ITCS :

Ok, surprising that it is USB 2 only though.

GL ITCS :

Updating the BIOS is a personal choice, at your own risk as it were.

GL ITCS :

Just thinking...

GL ITCS :

Have you tried the upgrade to 8.1?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

No. I was loathe to consider this option. I could not see a great advantage for the way that I tend to use the pc. I do not use iCloud etc. However, if it will cure this problem then I would consider it, of course.

GL ITCS :

Well... it is all part of the trade off isn't it? I use Windows 8 with Classic Shell so I can have a decent start menu as I am none to keen on the Metro screen, I seem to remember having a couple of issues with drivers with 8, upgraded to 8.1 and all is OK.

GL ITCS :

I am not saying that it will work for you and I can't accept any responsibility if it all goes pear shaped

GL ITCS :

But it seems like it is worth a go at this stage, otherwise you might have to get new keyboard/mouse setup?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

It seems nonsensical that Microsoft issues software that will not support its own hardware. The keyboard and mouse were only obtained for Christmas 2012, which means that the oldest part of the whole package is only 1 year old and yet it does not run correctly.

GL ITCS :

Well if it is any consolation, SharePoint 2013 does not install correctly on Server 2012 R2, and you have to go through a thousand one hoops to make it work. Standard practice for M~Soft though really. Something we all have to live with! If you can let me know what happens and if you need more help, just keep this open and we can work through it together?

JACUSTOMER-alxxeqpg- :

OK. Thanks for your help. I will try an upgrade to W8.1, but overall it is disappointing.

GL ITCS :

Ok, please keep me advised.

GL ITCS :

Hi, did you have any luck with this please?