GL ITCS
GL ITCS, Consultant
Experience:  MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
74092784

I have been working on a word document for the last 2 hours

Customer Question

I have been working on a word document for the last 2 hours which it was suddenly lost The original document was saved and I was amending it when it sudddenly disappear without any explanation - the originally document was siill there but all the changes have been lost and the auto save does not appear to have worked. No explanation given can I recover the document with the changes on the system . Please help Much appreciated Cliff XXXXXXXX email address***@******.***

Category: Microsoft
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.
GL ITCS :

Hi there, Thanks for dropping by. I really hope I can help you out with your IT issues, quickly and efficiently.

GL ITCS :

When you first created the document, did you "Save As" and then put it in a folder on your hard drive?

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

Yes I did on the C drive

GL ITCS :

And this document, when you open it, has none of the changes that you have made when you reopen it?

GL ITCS :

Also, what version of Office is this and what is the operating system please?

GL ITCS :

Hi, I am not sure how quickly you are receiving my answers....

GL ITCS :

so here is a link to try, please get back to me when you have worked through everything and we can continue if you are still having problems, although I would add... that if the resolution provided does not work, you may well have lost everything. I am here to help, and please don't shoot the messenger!

GL ITCS :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

Yes it had none of changes that I had spent hrs working on.

GL ITCS :

Ok well you will need to work through the resolution here then and get back to me please

GL ITCS :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- says:
GL ITCS :

Can you do that please and get back to me?

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

Apologies system is slow -

GL ITCS :

ok

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

Sorryt again. None of the changes I had made were saved. The version is Office 2007 and its Windows 7 - why did the auto save not work!

GL ITCS :

Understood, there can be a million reasons. Please work through and get back to me and we can take it from there.

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

Can I retrieve this document please - not sure what more you mean by working through

GL ITCS :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

GL ITCS :

You will need to work through the issues as outlined in the support

GL ITCS :

but it could well be that none of these work

GL ITCS :

2007 is now becoming older software

GL ITCS :

the resolution that you have already tried has not worked, so in all probability the file is gone

GL ITCS :

please don't shoot the messenger!

GL ITCS :

but if none of the resolution works, there is very little we can do, and it will probably be quicker to start again, sorry.

GL ITCS :

For future reference, it may well be a good idea to have something like Sky Drive

GL ITCS :

where your documents are automatically backed up to the cloud

GL ITCS :

and will make life a bit easier for you, rather than relying on slightly outdated software.

GL ITCS :

a year in IT is like a dog year I am afraid!

GL ITCS :

6/7 years old is a lifetime.

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

Tried all the 7 options and it can find anything. I hope I have had paid for such an answer. Why has auto saved failed.

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

What does sky drive cost

JACUSTOMER-9esp2375- :

Very poor service - surely not being charged

GL ITCS :

Sky drive is free...