Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

For several years now, I have tried to prevent a

Customer Question

For several years now, I have tried to prevent a specific email sender from sending me any more but they still keep appearing. I have been using the Block Sender part of my Messages tool. I have been told that sometimes messages can be sent in a different way which is why they keep coming - but how many ways can this be done? I reckon it must be thousands by the number of times I have 'killed' this one. Please can you help? I would give you the name but I have 'killed' them all. Many thanks if you can help. Margaret XXXXXXXX

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using an email program like MS Outlook to send and receive emails? Or using a web browser like Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome?

Also, is your email account ending with @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com, @gmail.com or others? (Please do not post the full email address, just the part with the @ sign.)

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ms outlook. @talktalk.net

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Thank you for writing back. Are you using Windows XP, Vista 7 or 8?
Also, what version is your MS Outlook, 2007 or 2010?

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using windows XP and presume it is 2007. Am not sure.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Thank you for writing back. If you know the person or the exact email address of the person that you are blocking, then you can use Outlook to block any emails coming from that specific email address.

Here are the steps:
  1. Open your MS Outlook 2007/2010
  2. In the left panel, you shall see the email folders of your email accounts. Now, if you only have 1 email account in your Outlook, then click on it in the left panel so that it is selected. If you have multiple email accounts in your Outlook, please click on the specific email account where this person is sending you emails to, so that it will be selected. This is to ensure that the actions you are going to do will be intended to the affected account.
  3. Click on the Home tab or menu
  4. In the Delete group, click on Junk... then click on Junk Email Options
  5. Here is my screen shot:

6. In the Junk E-Mail optins dialog box, click on the Blocked Senders tab
  7. There you shall see a list of email addresses that you have blocked before. Please see if the person whom you are trying to block has his email listed there. If not, click on the ADD button and add the persons email address there.
  8. Here is my screen shot:

9. Then click on Apply button
  10. Click OK to close.
  11. After that, every time an email from that person is received, it will be rejected by Outlook.

Now, most hackers and spammers use deceptive email addresses. For instance, the person's email can be hername @ yahoo.com and she can also have her.name @yahoo.com, notice the period in the second email which makes the 2 emails not the same. So make sure that you add to the blocked senders list ALL emails and variants of the emails of the person you are trying to block.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have not yet fixed it. There is nowhere on my screen which mentions the word "Junk".

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Thank you for writing back and I am sorry if you are having problem following the procedures I gave you. Can you please confirm now the version of he email program that you are using?

If it is MS Outlook 2007 or 2010, then the procedures I gave you should work since that steps was taken with my own Outlook 2010 program.

Now, since you are using Windows XP, and if you are using the program that came with XP, then you could be using Outlook Express.That is entirely a different program so that steps I originally gave you won't apply.

For Outlook Express, please click on the link below to manage unwanted junk emails:
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398733

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that. Everything is there that I have actually done. What I need to do is to not see this email again. It comes into my deleted folder but I just want it stopped. I have received one this morning and have not done anything with it yet. Is it possible you could do it from your end please?

Many thanks for your help to date.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Thank you for writing back. So it appears that you are indeed using Outlook Express and not MS Outlook 2007.

Now, I need to explain to you further that you cannot control that person from sending you an email. Once he or she had your email address, he/she can always send an email to you either manually, or programmatically. (Spammers use programs to send out their spam emails).

So all you can do is to manage with your Outlook Express WHAT you will do with the email from this person. It is good that you were able to block it. If you want to delete the email directly from the server and not download it with your Outlook Express, you can setup a RULE to do just that.

Here are the steps:
  1. Select a message from the sender for whom you wish to create a rule. This means, you click on an email message from that sender to select it.
  2. On the Message menu, click Create Rule From Message. A new message rule window will open with the From address of the sender already entered as the rule's condition. (Check this part to ensure you are NOT blocking the wrong person)
  3. In the Actions box, scroll to the bottom of the list of possible actions and select Delete it from the server.
  4. Type a name for the rule in the Name box, make it descriptive like "Delete hisemailaddress@ email.com" then click OK.
  5. An info box will inform you that the rule has been successfully added.

When this rule is applied, all incoming emails from this person will be deleted from your server, and will NOT be downloaded by Outlook Express thus you will no longer see it in your Outlook Express.

If you are having problem creating this rule, please allow me to remotely access your computer so that I can do it for you while you watch.

I hope that helped.

Register Here

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. I shall not be able to rate your replies until I find whether what I have done has been effective. If I receive no more emails of this nature during the next two weeks I shall consider it has been successful and then I will be able to give you a good rating. Otherwise it will mean we will have to continue the process . . .

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Margaret,

Thank you for writing back. Yes, please take your time and I hope you were able to follow the procedures in creating the rule to automatically delete the junk email from your server.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I explained, I had done as you said. This morning I have another one! What now please? M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Please carefully check if the email address of the sender is exactly the same as the email address of the person you wish to block. The "display" name can be the same but the email addresses can be different.

For instance, the display name can be "Jess M." but the email addresses can be different.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is always the same. 5 characters, in caps. Do I tell you what it is?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

No need to tell me the exact email address. But please confirm the email address of the person you want to block. Yes, the name can be the same but what is important is the email address since you re blocking the email address and not the name.

Example, the name can be "Jess M" but then the email address is email1 @yahoo.com and that you are trying to block is "jessm @yahoo.com".

Please confirm.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't really understand. All I have is the name of the sender of the email. I will tell you it. It says ME+EM. That is all I have other than the time and date it was sent. It is always in the Deleted items. As I do not open it I have no idea who sent it. Sorry for the bother. M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Thank you for that confirmation. I suggest that you open the email so that you will see the actual email address of the sender, not just the name of the sender. What is more important here is the email address. Now, copy that email address somewhere like in your Notepad for the next procedures.
  1. On the Tools menu, point to Message Rules, and then click Mail.
  2. Do you have any rules already listed there? If you have, click to select it then click on Modify button to change an existing rule.
  3. Now, in the rule that says "Select the condition for your rule", check to select "Where the From like contains people". Remeber that you can click to edit the underlined text there. Now, when you have selected this before, in the #3 box, you shall see the email address of the person you are trying to block. If not, then you need to add it by clicking on the underlined word in the rule box.
  4. For item #2, Select the actions for your rule, scroll down to the bottom of the options list and select "Delete it from the server"
  5. Click OK

I hope that helped. If you can capture a screen shot of your Rules dialog box, please do so in order for me to check the rules you have setup there.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my server will not allow me to send you a reply. M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

But I am receiving this reply of your now.... Please try the procedures I gave you. If you can capture a screen shot to attach in your reply, that will be very helpful.

Anyhow, just make sure that in the Rules dialog in the bottom box, the email address of that person you wish to block is listed there, then click OK.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure whether this has worked but I have done as you suggested. I notice that the email is still in my deleted folder. It seems to contain all gobbledegook. What is my next move? Delete it ? Or leave it? Or just wait to see if I get any more? Thank you. M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Yes, if you have setup the rule completely and correctly, then you shall not be getting any more emails from the person you blocked.

The rule is straightforward in the #3 box, which should say something like "When the From line contains the email address of the person you wish to block, then the rule is to Delete it from the server.

If you have such rule there in place, then all future emails from that email address will be deleted automatically without entering your Outlook Express.

Please test it for few days and see if the problem is gone.

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I shall do that. M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.Please take your time.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. Another email came through today into my deleted box. M. x

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for writing back. Can you capture a screen shot of your Rules box and attach it in your reply?

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Please tell me how exactly is reads in the #3 box when you visit your email rules. Here are the steps:
  2. Locate and click the rule that you created with the steps I gave you before to select it.
  3. Then click on Modify button to change or view the rule.
  4. Then please tell me how exactly it reads in the bottom box so that I can help you further.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. I have had to wait for a new modem to be delivered as a thunderstorm blew up my computer. Hope to have it fixed in a day or two. M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Margaret,

Thank you for writing back. Please take your time and let me know how I can help you further with your email problem. I am here to help.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Although you were not able to fix my problem, I have now got it dealt with by a colleague and I think I will have no further emails my end. If I do, I will come back to you and I hope that my fee will still be relevant. M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok Margaret. Thank you for letting me know.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Famous last words. Just when I think we are fixed I find another one in my mail. Thanks for your notes anyway. M.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Margaret.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure how to get a copy of my screen to you, but the last box as you asked for reads:

Apply this rule after message arrives.

Where the from line contains ME+EM

Delete it.

Line space

4. Name of the rule:

Next box: New Mail Rule #1

Does this help?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
To capture a screen shot, see these detailed steps:
http://technicalforum.org/how-tos/how-capture-or-take-screen-shot

If you have the screen shot, click on the paper clip icon in the reply box to attach the screen shot when you reply.

Jess